View Single Post
Old 2013-09-09, 09:52   Link #9537
madmac

Quote:
Uh, nope, Ruka has shown no sign that's she's thinking of Hayate's happiness. She just wants him. And given Hayate's hangups over finances and girlfriends, forcing him to marry her will probably lead more to a nervous breakdown than to him enjoying life. Though that does sound like something Hata would actually do to Hayate :P (Why is he the one stuffed in the trunk when he was invited first and Hina just butted in? He totally has priority for an actual seat here. :P)

I half get the feeling that this manga is working up a theme of something like "selfishness can be a force for good as long as it doesn't become inconsiderateness". We have things like Ruka acing her rehearsal and show because of her drive for Hayate, Hina telling Hayate something like "if you aren't a little bit selfish you'll never be happy" way back when... I dunno, just a thought.
Ruka has pretty much explicitly been "I'm in pain and I need you because I think it will make me happy" about the whole thing all along, going back to her first getting sick and writing "Get a boyfriend" as the thing she wanted to do before she died.

She's the one who kept digging at the cabin when Hayate tried to push her off-gently, telling him she'd pay both their debts, confronting Nagi and basically starting the whole thing. That's not an accusation or anything. Ruka's problem deep down is that she just isn't happy and doesn't know what to do about it.

Like Nagi said, it's the first bit of selfishness since she was born and she's entitled to that, just as Nagi is entitled to being selfish enough to hang on to her butler instead of just handing him over. It's not like Hayate is hoping for a Ruka win either.

Still, I think if anyone is being made out as the misguided one this time around, it's definitely Ruka. I could very much see her getting desperate enough to open the RG depending on how things go.

The other scene that comes to mind is Hayate telling her how great it felt when Nagi showed up to save him and Ruka acknowledging that must have been pretty incredible. In the end, someone will step in and save her much the same way, probably.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote