View Single Post
Old 2009-06-12, 22:27   Link #11
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HyugaNeji- View Post
Of course you would say that. But the reality speaks another language. Korean minorities have to use japanese names to get jobs and to get accepted. I recently saw a documentary about the latent discrimination of koreans and the Ainu. Then you can find alot of restaurants, hotels, bars etc. with signs that say: No foreigners allowed. Or. Foreigners can only enter with japanese friends. Seriously, this open form of racism should be condemned and banned. I'm very sensitive about things like that, because i'm german. In germany we are force fed our history and confronted with EVERY atrocity commited by the Nazis in school. Schools often visit ex concentration camps to realize what our ancestors have done. We're ashamed of it. But we accepted our past. We confront it. We try to NEVER let sth. like that happen ever again. I'm angry that in japan, the past wasn't handled that way.

Japan commited countless atrocities, one of the most disturbing is the nanking massacre. Why is it, that you still try to avoid confrontation? Why is it that japan is still so much hated throughout china and korea?

In 1970 our chancellor Willy Brandt, knelt down infront of a monument to the warsaw ghetto uprising, expressing deep shame for what was done to poland and the jews in general. THIS little gesture helped, to overcome the tensions that still existed. He even got the peace noble price 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ft6ueMkE04

Do you think it is possible that someday, a japanese prime minister will visit china and KNEEL down, to express shame (in the name of the japanese public) for the commited atrocities? To apologize for past crimes? I don't think such a thing will EVER happen, unless you change your nationalistic, self centred mentality.

We in germany have learned our lesson. You in japan have not. You're still way too self centred. You don't really accept others within your homogenous society. Even the UN has critisized Japan for these things. You're still way to nationalistic.

I find it important that also things like this are discussed in this thread. Japanese culture is interesting and fascinating. Yes. But the xenophobia, racim and nationalism are also a result of that culture and have to be discussed. Please don't feel offended noraemon, it's great if you are different then that. But your post also confirms what i said. You don't seem to see the vast problems in your country and are rather trying to avoid them. That mentality has to change.
First of all, Koreans or for that matter any legal immigrants do not need to "change" their names to gain a position. There are required to spell it out in Katakana or if they are considering naturalizing they are required to adopt a Kanji to represent their names but that is completely normal anywhere in the world including your country. Do you think any immigration agency anywhere around the world will accept a foreign letter only name?
Thinking the alphabet should be accepted universally is pretty much arrogant if you ask me.
Written language is as much a part of that culture as well as a function within any given society.

Here are some examples of naturalized names;
田中マルクス闘莉王
ラモス瑠偉
呂比須ワグナー
三都主アレサンドロ
(Yeah, they are all Japanese soccer players)

Quote:
I recently saw a documentary about the latent discrimination of koreans and the Ainu. Then you can find alot of restaurants, hotels, bars etc. with signs that say: No foreigners allowed.
Maybe a dozen within the whole nation but that is not what you call "ALOT".
Most probably have justified reason why such as some of them I know at restaurants in the 70's in Yokosuka and/or Yonaguni hanged those signs because sailors on shore leave completely bashed their establishment more then once.
Onsen also deny enterance to people who have Yakuza style body tatoos, discrimination?
Maybe but they care more about reputation not wanting to be associated with the shady society and most "reputable" Yakuza buy out all reservation in advance so not to create unneeded trouble to their patronage.

Kneeling down in Warsaw?
So ?
Why did he not even give a tribute at the war cemetery for the unknown ?
Why do Germany emphasize the Nazi as the problem and not Germany as a whole?
Here is a interesting comment by a Japanese blogger;
Quote:
"ヴァイツゼッカー大統領の演説に関しても、「5月8日は、ドイツの名のもとに他国に進駐したナチスから、 普通のドイツ人が『解放』された日"
Chancellor Weizsäcker made a speech stating that on May 8th, the German were "Liberated" by the ally forces from the Nazis.
What was the difference between Germans and Nazis?
How about non-Nazi combatants and/or personnels who knownly participated in the atrocities? Were they given a pardon?
Did anybody openly comeout confessing that they were actively participating and/or sympathizer of the Nazi party?
It may sound like a hair spliting arguement but it's actually the same situation on a coin trying to bury a skeleton which was hidden in the closet.

PRC also have a problem in disclosing information, Japan provided over 60% of the total ODA to PRC from normalization in the 70's up till 2008. Without it PRC would not have been able to develop to it's point today which even alot of PRC officials openly admits.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2009-06-12 at 23:28.