View Single Post
Old 2009-10-27, 20:13   Link #1595
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Of course personal bias comes into it a bit when I say "undoubtedly" and if you watch those episodes from a certain point of view, I agree that you *can* say that Alto was just going along, playing his part etc. Essentially taking up Yasaburos argument. I think that is the wrong point of view, but I can *see* how people arrive at that POV.

However, I think I can prove with charts, if necessary, that no Alto / Ranka was in the books, if one follows basic storytelling logic. I can't predict nonsensical endings, of course ( I think the short name for those endings is "Canvas 2"? ) , but following the whole character developments and story, going forward from episode 17 to the end, they killed off the possibility of Rankas feeling being responded to by Alto. With prejudice.

I think we went over all of this half a year ago, but if you insist, I can lay this out in detail once more.
I can respect that, but even using charts one can't predict with perfect accuracy how some scenes/situations were intended, the most we can do is interpret it the way we see it.

If you bring up episode 17, that would mean that you're referring to the scene where Alto and Ranka had a meeting in Ranka's bedroom, is that one of the moments where you felt they killed off their romantic relationship? (Honest question.)

Quote:
Alto was not seeing his mother in Sheryl, unless you mean in the superficial sense of him comparing her situation of being in danger of dying young with his mother. Yeah, on that account he offered to take care of her so that she could die peacefully, but she rebuffed him immediately and strongly.
Excuse my wording but yes, I did mean to compare both Alto's mother and Sheryl's similar dilemma. Sheryl did refuse but it still ended with Alto taking care of her since they did start living together and he did all he could to help.

Quote:
I concede that he made an effort of being less confrontational after he knew of Sheryls disease, but this does not negate the development they had before that moment. There was a lot of build-up with them, which was simply nudged into another ( less desirable, for sure ) direction when he became aware of her V-Type infection. With Ranka, there was something I'd label a "build-down", so to say, since episode 17.

And I will say it again, wanting to protect someone =/= being in love with someone. Him being concerned about Rankas safety is not something I'd label as romantic love.
I believe this applies to Ranka just as much as it does to Sheryl. I disagree with what you call the "build-down," I didn't see it that way and it doesn't negate the build-up between Alto and Ranka prior to episode 17. I feel that Alto's sudden change in demeanor is being mistaken for love rather than sympathy, sometimes kindness is more torturous than honesty.

I agree, wanting to protect someone doesn't always equal love. In the later parts of the series though, Alto was more concerned about why Ranka would do such a thing rather than her safety, and his flashbacks of Ranka during the conversation with Klan were those of his more tender moments with his mother and Ranka, which reinforces my feelings on this subject. In this memory, Alto remembers the moment his mother combed his hair when he was a child which happens to be the same scene that occurred on Gallia 4 between Alto and Ranka. This scene was also labeled as "a scene full of love" by Yasaburo in episode 19 I believe. I think Ranka was still considered a romantic rival even after episode 17.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-10-27 at 20:16. Reason: Typo