View Single Post
Old 2012-01-30, 20:45   Link #217
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Pretty much every entry into the Nanoha series has had to do world-building and set-up so I'm not sure that really counts.
MM, while that is technically true, that is just an innate disadvantage of sequels or spinoffs. It has to do with the degree. The first seasons had to do more heavy lifting because there wasn't anything you could refer back to, without making it back up. While as if a later series starts referencing continuity it's much easier to understand and appreciate the backdrop.

My point is that every successive series should not go back to square one. They should build upon each other.

The earlier series also had the advantage of having less characters. Nanoha might not have been the most exciting character around, but she had charisma and that personality that is in love with excessive violence that was sufficient as a hook. But as the cast grew larger, the amount of creativity to make a new character stands out is greater, due to the screentime being split every each way. You gotta show why we should care about you, or else.

A good example of showcasing a new lead to truly grab center stage in a franchise was Kamille Bidan from Zeta Gundam. He succeeded because he was a stark contrast to the former hero of Amuro Ray, which also reflected a change in tone to the series to a darker one. The anime also pretty much defined his character and the situation around him within a few episodes. It was quick, but still allowed it tons of time for development. His personality was also one that stood out.

Now, clearly not that is not the only way, and I'm not saying Nanoha should be going Zeta "lol Tomino" on us. But the advantages of having a lead that has punch to them can help many of us allow a show some more patience. These things are earned, not taken for granted. Nanoha herself had a punch that defined herself, and maybe some people are looking for this.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-30 at 21:05.