View Single Post
Old 2011-08-31, 21:59   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

After much delay, I finally got round to watching the first episode of RyomaDen. Over all I found it to be pretty good, and above the typical J-Drama fare. I'll certainly watch a few more episodes and see how it goes.

That said, I don't think it's perfect, for one thing, Ryoma as portrayed here is a bit too much of a perfect hero for my liking, and I actually found the Iwasaki Yataro character to be more interesting. The overly heroic and inspiration hero is a pretty common thing with J-Drama, unfortunately, but otherwise the acting was pretty good, with Teruyuki Kagawa as Iwasaki Yataro topping it for me, possibly because his character had the most personality. Otherwise it's still a bit too much on the melodramatic side for my liking. It could use a little more subtlety... But I guess the Japanese are into that. Whatever happened to the restraint we saw in Kurosawa or Ozu?

I'd advise anyone to give it a try though. Finding streaming is hard, but you can find raws floating around, and D-addicts has all the subs in .ass form.

The opening theme is also pretty nifty.

I'd say looking into the NHK made stuff might be a good avenue. Anime aired on NHK tends to have a good success rate. I suppose it makes sense given that NHK is like Japan's BBC.

Perhaps NHK is too stuffy to make waves with the often idol obsessed ranks of Drama lovers?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote