Thread: Licensed Sankarea (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-05, 16:43   Link #847
Midonin
Last Engage

Streams were a week behind. Such is the internet.

I know they're completely different genres with completely different goals, but of the works in Mitsuru Hattori's oeuvre that have been turned into anime, I prefer Umisho a little more. It played faster and looser with everything about itself, but it also had more material to work with. The tone was more appropriate to my tastes, but that's not to say Sankarea was bad. That the same author could go from nude swimming to zombies is feat in itself. This story does have more layers, so Hattori's writing has become somewhat more polished since then.

Rea's story was heartbreaking, though the show took a while to find its legs and have Rea actually become a zombie. Did make us feel more for her. Wanko still stands as one of my favorite characters from the show, and gramps provided some nice laughs on his own. I'd expect a second season to do more with the premise, now that it's just starting to roll, as the last scene hinted at.

I can appreciate the artistic value of the series, and the adaptation was fairly well done... Umisho just lines up with my interests more.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote