View Single Post
Old 2011-05-14, 08:52   Link #27
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
GHDpro, how hard would it be for you do add multiple pages to search results. For example, making a rule to return either 1000 results or all results from past 30 days, whichever is larger.

Comfun doing mass uploads combined with someone spamming the anime groups has made it so the current 1000 result limit barely even covers the past 24 hours. It nearly makes Fanzub useless, unless you are searching for something very specific.
Fanzub wasn't originally meant for browsing but for searching (as is explained in the FAQ). I also can't imagine scanning lists of 1000 files is very convenient.

There are over 15000 posts made in the past month (not counting spam, otherwise it would be over 70000) and displaying those all on a single page would probably crash your browser.

Right now I don't have a good solution for how to only browse new files except maybe the AnimeSuki Beta site (but that won't show licensed content for obvious reasons).

The link between the AnimeSuki Beta site and Fanzub wasn't working in the past few days due to some recent outages causing "autossh" to somehow give up an die. I've now restarted autossh and NZB data is being synced again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Bug: Extremely large multi-GB posts usually time-out when requesting an NZB from Fanzub.
Yeah I know. The amount of data that needs to be processed for say, BD ISO files (20+ GB) is quite a lot, so the script times out. One solution would be to cache the files to disc using a cron job. I'm not sure when I'll have time to implement that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
As an experiment, I switched from torrenting to Usenet for anime a few days ago. It's working extremely well in terms of download speed, but I'm a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the setup. Apart from the current mass uploading activity (thanks btw, lots of good stuff in there), what about the ordinary day-to-day stuff? Is that being uploaded by many different people or just a few dedicated souls?
The vast majority of files are being posted by comfun and he is using an automated script. But should he ever decide to quit, I'm sure someone else will take his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
[Edit] Having spent the morning playing with this, one suggestion for removing a lot of the spam from Fanzub would be to include an option that checks for an opening square or curly bracket in the filename. Virtually all groups these days seem to put their name or the checksum or something else in brackets, but the spam rarely seems to have this feature. I've tried using a bracket as part of the search term, but that doesn't appear to work.
As the scripts are automated I try to make sure there are no false positives.

I've now added an extra rule: any spammer who uploads more than 10 posts in a single day which average less than 10 files per post and contain the strings ".rar", ".exe" or "XXX" will automatically be marked as spam, regardless of the size or even the number of files in any particular post (so if one odd spam post is 12 rar files, it'll mark it as spam too).

comfun is automatically exempted from any spam checking.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2011-05-14 at 09:17.