View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 19:25   Link #926
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Tea View Post
They might pull the accent boundary card, cos I know some people here with the Chicago/American accent that can't understand the British accent due to pronunciation,slang, and sometimes the rate of how fast/slow words in a conversation can be. Also vice versa with my friends from the U.K., and Australia. My Australian friend thinks that when he hears me talk or anyone with a Northern/Midwest accent in person/call; it all sounds like southern accent to him, but on the telly when he watches a show American accent just sounds "normal", and not all southern (unless someone really does have a southern accent). I guess its the same with us when we watch a 007 Movie. On the screens it seems causal, but in person seems unusual in a interesting way.
I imagine they would have to really emphasise the intonations and pronunciations in the dub to do this justice, or else alter some of the dialogue such that the terminology differences result in miscommunication. That said, the differences will have to be substantial: I myself have no difficulty in listening to British or Austrialian English, but my head spins when I hear Appalachia and Southwestern English.