Thread: Licensed K (Anime project)
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 20:37   Link #371
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just watched Episode 1.

My take on this is very similar to kuromitsu's. The sheer spectacle in this episode was truly something else. I haven't been this won over by sheer visual/audio spectacle since the first episode of Guilty Crown... of course, some could take that as a red flag given the weaknesses of this first episode of K.

I found this first episode thoroughly esoteric. I'm not sure if that's because this show really is the ultimate in style over substance, or if it's just holding off on a whole bunch of important plot reveals that'll add some weight to this show.

But as is, this show is like cotton candy, only made exceptionally cool and "for adults". But even though it's cool and "for adults", it still has all the weight of cotton candy. It's practically lighter than air, which seems to be the case for many of these high-flying metahuman characters too.

From what I can gather, it seems that there's two superpowered groups in this glistening metropolis, and they're both after our male lead for some reason. One superpowered group gives me a definite "lawful" vibe and may actually be the superpowered police of this city. The other superpowered group gives me a definite "chaotic" vibe. In this vein (but only in this vein so far), this show reminds me a bit of Black Cat and S-Cry-Ed.

Then there's how our male lead is either a memory-wiped (personality-altered?) guy that used to be a coldblooded killer, and/or something funky like cloning is going on.

And our male lead goes to a fairly typical (albeit slightly futuristic) Japanese high school, where a girl has a crush on him and wants to feed him her bento.

Oh, and there's very light yaoi subtext so far, although it's hardly worth mentioning.

But yeah, that's pretty much all I can figure from this show so far. Nonetheless, it's sheer spectacle made the first episode a pretty enjoyable watch. I'm just hoping this doesn't stay like extremely cool cotton candy for too long...