View Single Post
Old 2011-04-14, 17:51   Link #22633
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
You forget that for one thing, the servants only call each other their real names when they're alone and not on duty. It's a special thing. Moreover, just because they tease her as Yasu in some scenes and call her Shannon in other scenes (note most of the scenes where they call her Shannon has some sort of adult like Genji present), does not mean they consider the two names to belong to separate entities. Moreover, the only time the names Yasu and Shannon are used by the same persons in the same conversation is in the meta-fourth wall break when they're speaking to Zepar and Furfur.

Yea, but she doesn't learn that she's Kinzo's child until years later; about two years before Battler came back to the island. Please explain what purpose a ten year old orphan would have for getting a fucking name change.

There's no evidence for Yasu speaking to her imaginary friends OUTLOUD, so I'll just ignore that.

The simpler answer is that Yasu and Shannon were always the same person and she just decided to fully accept her servant role of Shannon. Shannon, beforehand, was an idealization, not how she was actually performing. A goal. Though Yasu had always been called Shannon, only at that point did she decide to acknowledge it as a name, and even then she's sort of running away from that and trying to acknowledge Shannon as an alternate person. It's like how people put on different faces and personas for the workplace than they do at home. No memory-editing, running away, or info-destroying required.

I don't understand why so many people have such a problem grasping such simple metaphorical prose. It's not that confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player View Post
Did you even read EP7?

Kinzo wasn't aware of Yasu being his child until MINUTES BEFORE HIS DEATH. Yasu doesn't talk to her characters out loud, it's all in her mind. Shannon didn't exist as a real person, she was a persona of Yasu's. The ACTUAL Shannon (Sayo Yasuda. As Aura said, deductive reasoning.) was always clumsy, and the pro maid Shannon was the character, later rewritten into Yasu's role.

The little "I became a witch" was symbolic. Yasu didn't erase her existance. She rewrote the character of Shannon to be exactly what she'd been, while creating her witch persona.

Not to mention, as said many times, the servant names are BLESSED NAMES. If they asked for a name change they'd be pretty much kicked out by Natsuhi and her exaggerated amounts of strictness. Genji string pulling or not.

And it wouldn't be unusual if the maids randomly switched between calling her Yasu and by her servant name. Hell, I sometimes call people by their names then randomly switch and use their nicknames. Not unusual. The bits where Shannon answers, if you pay attention, are completely ignored by the Maids of Purgatory.
"Hello, Kinzo- Sama, may I please have my name changed to Shannon. I feel indebted to her for being my one and only friend in the mansion. If you have it in your heart to do so, I would be very grateful."

"Yes, you may have your name change."

Few hours later, Natsuhi is notified of the change.

"Yasu! How dare you change your blessed name!? Who gave the right?"

Genji: "It was deemed by the master for her name to be changed."

"But that's madness!"

"It was deemed by Master himself."

"Well, fine! Go off and then!"

Now, to clarify, whether she knew Kinzo was her father or not, she still had benefits that she could exploit. Even a ten year old child would figure when she's getting special treatment, especially when they are bullied for it. And we all know that Natsuhi wouldn't argue against Kinzo.

And yes, I did read Ep7. It confused the heck out of me (I understood the events that transpired, the reasoning behind the events-- specifically, Yasu's backstory-- is what confused me), which is why I made up my own theory to make it all make sense in my head. Now, I understand that they could've switched randomly between names, thank you for that explanation.

Now please tell me how a girl "becomes a witch" and the servant "persona" stays behind, has her memory re-written, and becomes real. Furthermore, how does she create another boy "persona," practically talks to herself in public, and no one says anything about it?

Listen, I'm not trying to dispute anything. I just don't understand Yasu's backstory and YasuShannontrice doesn't help explain it fully.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote