View Single Post
Old 2011-03-01, 19:38   Link #22116
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
The moment you pull that trigger, your very soul is escaping that chamber together with the bullet.

If you are asking me, or if Ryuukishi is asking the reader, to feel compassion for a cold blooded murderer and remember him at his best, I honestly find that very offensive.
I don't know what country you're from, but were your grandparents or parents in any of the great wars of the 20th century (1st, 2nd world war, Vietnam, Korea). If yes it is highly probable that they killed somebody. Is that killing immediatly justified, because it was done in the name of peace, freedom or safety of one's kinsmen?! And if not...are you unable to feel compassion for your family because they murdered?!

And now don't give me that whole "they didn't have a chance/they did it for their beliefs" crap. Killing is killing, wether you do it because of something everybody believes or something only you yourself believe.
Murder is a terrible thing, of course, but saying that a murderer is loosing his humanity the minute he murders is just wrong and mysteries that tell such a lie are the worst mysteries. Murder happens because someone is human. The potential for destruction is as much a part of humanity as creation and that is the real tragedy in most murder cases.
That is why the big authors choose sympathetic culprits most of the time and that's why I find mysteries with a purely evil culprit boring...not only because it is unrealistic, but also because it is difficult to relate to them.

Who can relate to a maniac who rips the skin of his living victims and feeds them to a group of wild dogs?! Hopefully none of the readers.
But many people can relate to somebody who feels trapped, unable to act and wishes for just one way to gain power over those who wronged him or her. That is somebody who sees no other escape than murder.
Those are the real tragedies and the real horrors, because that struggle happens in many of us everyday.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote