View Single Post
Old 2011-05-15, 16:49   Link #77
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
It isn't as if it goes completely undeveloped. Quite a lot of attention is given to Madoka's apparent inferiority complex, and while that doesn't fully explain the zeal with which she approaches helping people, it does provide some explanation. It isn't a fully satisfying explanation, but it's still leaps and bounds above the common trope of helping others, "Just 'cause."
Really? Then can you tell me what is the source of her inferiority complex? Homura has one too, and the source of it is also neatly explained by her illness and lack friends. But in Madoka's case, we don't know.

So, not only Madoka's inferiority complex doesn't fully explain her desire to help others, but it isn't even properly explained to begin with. With Homura you have both, a proper explanation for her insecurity as well as a properly developed reason for wanting to help Madoka. In Madoka's case, you have neither.

So I disagree. To me, it seems pretty much "just 'cause," or worst: because it was needed for the plot to work.