View Single Post
Old 2008-11-13, 07:18   Link #23
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
All this bad mouthing of Kitamura. Things are being attributed to him that are in no way revealed so far in the anime.

He's made friends with Ryuuji and is the only one who seems to care about the fact that he's a decent guy underneath the scary face. He even makes effort to help others see that.
I suppose, if you call that fetish of his "caring".

Quote:
He's observant and insightful. He shows that by pointing out how much different Taiga is when she's with Ryuuji. And he has the self-restraint not to be overcome by emotion when she confesses to him, instead calmly assures her that he'll commit to a friendship with her.
But that was merely for his own self-gain. I think I said this elsewhere, but he COULD have gone out with Taiga, but then, he knew that she wouldn't act natural around him. Seeing this, he wants to become friends with her in hopes she will eventually act natural around him. It's the only way he could truly 'take' her from Ryuuji. I suppose calculating all that on the fly as Taiga was confessing is also quite observant indeed .

Quote:
He's popular with girls, but doesn't gloat over it or take advantage of it. If anything, he's indifferent about it, politely brushing off their attention.
He doesn't care about other girls because they're not in accordance with his fetish. It's exactly why a) he likes Taiga, b) likes and supports the SC pres, and c) wants Ami to act as her spoiled, natural self. Sure, it SEEMS like he's doing it for them, but the reality is that he merely wishes to indulge himself around the women he likes, acting in the manner he loves.

Quote:
He supports the president from the sidelines, and trys to keep her from making a fool of herself, without looking for any credit for himself.
He doesn't take any credit because he wants her to be respected as the pres of the student council. She's an object of his fetish, and it gets him off when such a person exerts authority like that to others. I don't know how compotent/incompotent Sumire(i'm tired of using SC prez >.>) is, but if people knew Kitamura was, in assumption, the more compotent of the two, she would lose respect, which would slowly draw her away from the ultimate vision of his fetish.

Quote:
Say WHAT!? Talk about reading things into the scene. There's nothing at all, in the context of the scene as it's portrayed in the anime, to imply that he knew Taiga and Ryuuji were even there. It was a coincidence. Ami transferred there, she knew Kitamura was there, being childhood friends she looked him up, they agreed to meet somewhere. The only thing I see Kitamura taking advantage of was using the situation to let Ryuuji and Taiga see how she really was. And he did so out of concern for their well being because he knows that deception is a bad thing.
Okay, I'll agree that was a bit far-fetched.

Quote:
Kitamura KNOWS Ami... childhood friends, remember? He can't do anything about her personality, and he knows it. He's not going to undermine her by exposing her to the whole school because he knows that would be rude and hurtfull. Instead, out of concern for her well-being and lack of potential to move beyond her duplicitous self, he knows (because he's a smart, observant, caring guy) that the best thing for her, is to be challenged by relationships that will force her into revealing her true nature and actually come to grips with it. So he goes to the only girl he can think of, someone he feels he can trust, who already knows what she's really like, and rather humbly asks her to help his childhood friend.
He doesn't want to expose it to the whole school HIMSELF. He doesn't care if Ryuuji or Taiga does it. Doesn't that strike you as odd? It's because for him, it's a win/not lose situation. He likes Ami's true nature, but he calculates that if it were to backfire, Ami would not talk to him anymore for what he'd done. However, if he has Ryuuji and Taiga to do it, and they succeed, Ami will show the personality he likes and if they fail, Ami would hate them and Ami would still be 'friends' with Kitamura, which he would attempt at some other method to derive her true personality, cunning or not.

Quote:
I honestly don't think Kitamura is taking advantage of Taiga's blind willingness to do whatever he asks. If anything, he seems to be just as indifferent to that as he does anything else.

Granted, he may have some underlying motives that are yet to be seen, but so far, I think he's the most stable, "normal" person out of the whole bunch.
I'll agree other than him being 'normal'. He has his quirk, stated above, as well.

Quote:
And I'm going by the anime alone. I haven't read the manga and I won't be any time soon. So, with regard to my opinions, anime discussion only, please... for anyone who cares.
I know nothing about the content of the novel, and the manga stops at the first 6 mins of ep 4. All of my reasoning is solely based on the anime in its entirely.

Last edited by frubam; 2008-11-13 at 07:32.