Thread: Licensed Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-21, 02:38   Link #32
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Not original? It's the only anime I can think of that deals with an earthquake and its aftermath next to Chikyuu ga Ugoita Hi. Suspiciously few! Can we settle with "unusual" or "out of the ordinary" then?

The problem with originality is that when you define it strict enough nothing is original anymore - and we can as well delete the word from the dictionary. Before I declare this to be unoriginal I'd like to have a list of anime from the current season with more original themes. It's not long if you ask me.

OK, maybe I'm giving the anime too much credit. After all, the information is still sketchy. Maybe the earthquake is only to deliver the apocalyptic background for the fight of special teenagers charged with ALLCAPS energy against the genetic demons coming from the chiral dimension through holes in space-time opened by the tremors.

In that case the scenario wouldn't be so very original, yes.
From ANN:

The premise of the project is the 70% or higher possibility that a magnitude 7.0 earthquake will occur in Tokyo in the next 30 years. The anime will depict what would happen if an 8.0 earthquake took place. BONES will attempt to realistically portray the consequences of such a tremor after collecting data on actual earthquakes and interviewing people.

The story will center on Mirai, a middle school freshman girl who goes to Tokyo's artificial Odaiba Island for a robot exhibition with her brother Yutaka at the start of summer vacation. A powerful tremor emanates from an ocean trench, the famed Tokyo Tower and Rainbow Bridge crumble and fall, and the landscape of Tokyo changes in an instant. With the help of a motorcycle delivery woman named Mari who they meet on Odaiba, Mirai and Yutaka strive to head back to their Setagaya home in western Tokyo.

I think we can safely say that this story is nowhere near involving any Genetic Demons.

I'm going to trust Bones with this brief premise of the show -- and that it's a truly original piece of work.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote