View Single Post
Old 2009-06-05, 23:31   Link #1
Dark Wing

sexism/feminism within anime

I thought it be interesting to discuss sexism and feminism in reference to anime. I remember seeing this topic being brought up somewhat in many anime forums here, and I think it's something worth discussing into further detail. Of course, like any medium, anime is far too broad to generalize as being wholly sexist (or feminist), so I intend this thread to be used for discussing topics such as

1. Was there any particular anime that you stopped watching or didn't like because you found it to be sexist?

2. Do you think there is a difference between anime and western animation in terms of sexism? Do you think that what is portrayed in anime to be a product of the differences in what is perceived as sexist? etc.

Of course, those are just starters, feel free to discuss any tangent so long as it stay relevant to the topic

Yeah, both shounen/shoujo and all other types of manga are open for discussion, it'll be interesting to see the differences in terms of demographics as well.

I guess it would also be interesting to discuss whether the differences in culture is to blame, or whether that is just another misconception. In my case I will be able to contribute little on this matter since I know very little about the Japanese culture to start off with, but for any of those that do, your input is appreciated.

Oh, and I realize that this forum is for anime, but I wouldn't mind discussing manga as well so long as it's appropriate.