View Single Post
Old 2009-09-08, 12:09   Link #48
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
By the way I don't think retaking Toudai exams over and over again is courageous. The way he's portrayed is more of a loser who has no aims or goals except this one hazy memory that he pursues with little hope, and even then he doesn't exactly give it his all.
I agree. And actually if it not for him failing the exams twice, he never would of met any of those girls he knew in the first place. Maybe Naru and Mutsumi out of dumb luck, but he wouldn't know them enough or get in that many zany situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Well Keitaro is basically the prototypical male lead so his archetype is used in many other harems as well. A lot of harems end up being similar to Love Hina in one way or another with the same trope about girls eventually coming around to like the male lead.

I think the gist of the some of the argument here is that kindness and generosity shown by the male lead "misleads the girls" around him. But I don't think that's the case at all. The story is written such that the girls like him because of that attribute, and not that he's using that attribute to lure girls in.
That's another interesting call actually because most of these men do have extreme kindness and tolerance around the various girls. I think it all goes into that mystical bond sort of thing, because that way they are drawn into them naturally. Because they are "The Chosen One", they "Can See Demons", or "Childhood Memory," it gives them the initiative to get to know the boys.

Here's another realistic harem scenario thing: The "leads" in question have no male friends. Sure, they may have one best friend who you will see occasionally, but these boys have really low social skills. All they do is hang around with the girls and usually do not hang around with other people or try to get to know other people. And there's usually no explanation for why they are anti-social, they just...are. I also wonder why this happens.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote