View Single Post
Old 2011-06-13, 00:53   Link #1018
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
The fact that Flip Saunders was the Pistons head coach and is completely foreign to a defensive philosophy, it kinda does. I mean, yeah, kudos to him for that one stellar performance where he scored something like 29 of the Cavs last 30 points, now that WAS Jordan-esque, but he can't hang his hat on that forever.

As for the NBA Finals, even if he was their only option, he was still athletically superior to every player on that floor, especially the Spurs, who were as unathletic as it got. But hey, I'll bite... let's say the collective defense of the Spurs did make the Cavs one dimensional, shooting 35% and not even averaging 20 points is atrocious. Plus, now that we can add his underwhelming Finals numbers from this past series (especially against an AVERAGE defensive team like Dallas, it adds further validity to the statements I made.
Why not? People still talk about Jordan scoring 63 against Boston.

Just because the Spurs weren't particularly athletic doesn't mean they couldn't defend well. Bruce Bowen was still a capable defender and the Spurs could throw Finley at LeBron whenever they had to as well.

I'm not defending how poor his stats were but being the only competent scorer on his team while also being a naturally unselfish player and going against a good defensive team all led to that.

I can't really defend LeBron's performance this past series though.