View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 23:38   Link #6533
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
This is even easier. If you open a pdf in Firefox (which should happen by default in most cases if you're getting it off the internet) then you can highlight any word, right-click, and select "look up [word]." Automatically opens a new tab to dictionary.com. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If you're using Mac OS X then this feature is built into the operating system, although it may not be enabled by default. Go to the Trackpad settings and look at the gestures - there's an option for a "three finger tap" that will bring up the definition of the word that was tapped on. [...]
I am running on windows 7. I found this addon that allows just pointing to the word, shift + right click and the definition pops up in a small window. No highlight, no second command necessary, probably even works offline. I think it is important to me who has to look up like at least 60% of all vocabulary on any page in a novel. Three steps!? Too many. Also, I probably wouldn't need Urban dictionary at the moment as I am still on the basic level, trying to learn some basic vocabulary. And I really don't see that many slang or phrase that often anyway. I guess it depends on the books you choose. By the way, I am trying to read "the postman" by David Brin. Thanks.