Thread: Licensed Mushishi
View Single Post
Old 2005-12-27, 04:43   Link #17
wao
OK.

I'd say a helluva lot more on it if I wasn't quietened by the hacking. Somehow I can't bring up the spirit to post a lot (and like mentioned, this isn't the kind of show that can generate rabid fanboyism, it calls for quiet reflection.).

But I can tell you I really am loving this show right now; as a reader of the manga (I actually got all the 6 volumes that are out right now, and I don't even have any other manga) I am extremely happy with the treatment it's getting.

So I shall write what I think about it so far. (Now I can conjure up some spirit...)

The animation, while not "ZOMG FANTASTIC", is actually quite smartly handled, by having restrained movement (but not so much that it is very unnatrual) and making it careful and smooth. In some eps it's actually quite good (episode 8's snakes and water). Anyway, this way they can save money but not make it look really bad. It fits the series, too. Slow, careful movement...
There's some nice background work and great colour coordination, also. There's usually some kind of predominant colour scheme that is evident in the animation colours and the background. It's nice, because for once there is no disparity between the colours and you get a complete kind of picture. The colour also suits the story/mood...
But what I'm most happy with is the music. The music adds a great deal of flavour and character to the show and it has worked brilliantly so far, I feel. It's simple and yet effective. I like how there is a 'theme music' for each episode, too.
I also think the undramatic voice acting is working extremely well; it is quite convincing and realistic. One of the most remarkable jobs, IMO, was in episode 6 by Yuka Imai as Nagi in episode 6 (island episode). I think Yuka Imai's one of the best seiyuus out there anyway; her Jinto Lin in the BotS series is just awesome and is one of the voices that can convincingly bring me to tears (BotS II...). Ginko's seiyuu Yuuto Nakano is also a perfect fit for Ginko's character, IMO, and he sounds very different from the usual easygoing guy in anime. He can convincingly sound serious and yet have an air of affability around him. I don't know how he does it...

Episode 10 is going to be nice too, I hope they do the steam/fog effects nicely. But I'm just really hoping they do the episode with the shadow that eats memories.
EDIT: But I REALLY want to watch episode 13... Hitoyobashi!! I loved the art in that chapter, I hope they do it rightly... The first thing I thought when I finished it was "If done properly, this could possibly be near Ghibli-level".
Ep 12 is also one to watch out for, alright... it's about the 銀蠱.

Last edited by wao; 2005-12-27 at 04:54.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote