View Single Post
Old 2003-11-05, 14:28   Link #24
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Ducati_nut I think your sentences are incorrect, i think you need to use the verb open="akeru".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
I would suggest that those who are actually keen on teaching Japanese here, should be avoiding romaji and using kana as much as possible. It's detrimental to the learning process otherwise. For those running Windows, install the Japanese Input method and switch your broswer encoding to Shift_JIS.

ok, if we did this, we got to teach them the alpabet first.

these are just links i picked off a search engine, if you find a better alphabet, like one that has sound, post it!

hiragana-http://www.genki-online.com/kyozai/hiragana.html
katakana-http://www.genki-online.com/kyozai/katakana.html

do what ever you have to do to memorize these, wether its flash cards, or a computer game. It should take about a week of practice for each to recall with ease and confidence. It also depends on how your study habits are, so it could take longer or shorter for you to get these down pat.

since this is begginer japanese, dont worry about learning kanji right now, hopefully we'll get to that later.

basically, when you use katakana, its for words taken form other langauges, and you will notice that a lot of these words are from the english langauge.
also, non-japanese names are written in katakana.
I think japanese names can be written either way.
so most of you, when you write your name in japanese, it should be in katakana.

dont worry about what vocab word is written in which, becuase when you memorize them, they will be given in either the correct hirgana or katakana

to keep track of where your progress should be, if you've been following and practicing so far
You should be able to:
Count numbers up to the hundered of thousands.
NOTICE, you can count numbers, not count things or people yet.
e.g. You cannot say "3 apples" as "san ringo".
this is going to be slightly complicated because it matters on what type of object you're talking about and what counter you use. therefore, this will be in a later lesson so dont worry about it now .

Basic greetings such as konichiwa.
Asking someone if they speak/know a language.
Asking someone thier nationality.
Days of the week, but not dates of the month yet.
Telling whole number time, like 4:00 and 4:30, but not 4:35
I'll add how to say 4 hours and 12 mins, for example, in my next post.

AFter this post, no more romanji form me! i will only post in hiragna and japanese, so you guys should study them

Last edited by p3psi; 2003-11-05 at 15:31.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote