View Single Post
Old 2012-01-27, 15:42   Link #27336
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Are you incapable of understanding how allowing that level of deception means that Erika was always playing against a stacked deck? And that putting her in that situation means that everyone who knew the game was rigged is complicit in her mental torture, including the so-called good guys? Or is this just another example of people tolerating evil because it's cool?
I'll probably sound cold but I don't get why you seem to be so upset about Erika being subjected to mental torture.

Every player gets his share of mental torture, think at Battler who, at first, doesn't even understand his family are nothing else but pieces and feel pain each time one of them dies and he's also asked to suspect them and didn't even know that magic scenes might have never happened and believed he had to give a rational explanation for 'towers showing up in the garden' or Ange who gets destroyed/killed so horribly in EP 4.

If this wasn't bad enough every piece gets killed, betrayed, scared to death, trampled over and Erika, before anything else, is a piece.

You sounds like you were expecting Erika should get a nice treatment, despite everything in the game implied Lambda and most of all Bern (who's likely the one who fed her info about her abilities) could care less about Erika.

The game of the witches IS a sadic game. You should get upset about the game, not just about Erika.

Erika knows she's a piece and that witches are only having fun with her, she knows that Lambda doesn't plan to lose easily and will try to trick her and she knows Bern can do horrible things to her.

It's a given they aren't trustworthy.

It's also a given no one couldn't play what you seem to consider a 'fair game' without handing the player the solution, or making the game way too easy and it's made clear that Battler couldn't allow himself the luxury of losing.

Evil is never cool but the game of the witches is like a bullfighting.

We can either say bullfighting is evil or watch it and accept the bull will be killed but feeling sorry for a single bull among the many that are killed during the various fights doesn't really feel logical, nor to expect the torero won't kill that specific bull and call him evil when he does.

Oh, and if someone cares I find bullfighting evil. Sorry to all the bullfighting fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Yeah, alot of EP1-4 read that way after reading Chiru.

This brings something up, though - am I the only one who slightly disagrees with the evaluation being made in that bit? About the Ushiromiya's being male dominated? The only male Ushiromiya's who even get a say in family affairs are Kinzo, who's lingering on death, Rudolf, who's fairly indifferent (and makes babies whether he has a wife or not), and Krauss, who's a big ol' softie towards his wife and daughter.

I could believe it more fully if the Ushiromiya family weren't so damn small. Yeah, I knoe 18 characters was a lot to absorb at the beginning, but 13 family members, 5 of whom are children (I include George in this group only because the plot itself keeps insisting he does) and 3 of whom aren't blood related, isn't that big of a clan, and the political situation of the household, while still certainly ... notable, isn't as grand as it's described to be.
Well, there's also the seating arrangement and the way Kinzo spoke with Natsuhi when she couldn't have a baby.
Eva also complained about Jessica being the heir, though she also regretted it because she realized she was discriminating Jessica in the same way as she had been when younger.
Though that sentence could be either due to Yasu's perception or due to how the Ushiromiya family was perceived by outsiders or both (I don't really remember in which game it came up).

Though I'll say Kinzo's kids aren't really thinking that about women.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote