View Single Post
Old 2013-08-26, 06:02   Link #32921
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
I think the easiest way to explain it is "Kanon is just a metaphor and is not entity in R-Prime and Yasu just didn't care enough about details about dress-switching to as much as MENTION them in her stories". Of course, that's just me covering for R07

I'm suddenly trying to imagine what would result if Yasu actually completely sucked at writing and resorted to writing shitty fanfiction to let her feelings out ("My Immortal" tier shit). Think about it: self-insert characters, tormented by love, writes multiple stories about her feelings (granted in this case her angst is probably justified but still).

"and thn battler leaned to shannn face nd wispered 'i'll love you 5ever' and they kissed passintley nd then had bbies named beato and kanon"

Because in the grand scheme of things, she wrote emo fanfiction about real life. What if she failed on every level?
LOL, yes, in a way her gameboards can be viewed as fanfic with her as a Mary Sue. All the cousins love Yasu, in her Shannon persona she's the kindest maid ever while in her Kanon persona she's emo but so cool while in her Beatrice persona she got all the power.
And she might have excused her poor writing saying she was trying to make the games look as if Maria wrote them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I think it's possible that he was created as an imaginary friend then but Yasu only acted him out later on, when she was already the head of the family. He may also only have been "real" at Jessica's school festival.
Yes, that's part of my theory also. I would say that Kanon was phisically created post Kinzo's death but this would still require to trick Natsuhi and to lead a double life for no reason at all for 2 years. Plus the siblings know Kanon which mean either they're all lying of common agreement (what for? To prank Battler? Considering they're arguing would they get along to prank Battler?).
Also Jessica wouldn't harbour feelings for Kanon if she were to know he's Shannon or she wouldn't try to pair Shannon and George together.

My best theory is that Shannon began to play the role of Kanon after Kinzo's death and with Natsuhi and Krauss' agreement so as to use Kanon as an extra servant who has viewed Kinzo was around when the siblings were around. Also it's possible due to Krauss poor business they couldn't hire more Fukuin children but didn't want to openly show this to the siblings so used 'Kanon' to make it look like they have enough servants.
Note how the servants on Rokkenjima during the siblings' visits are all in with Kinzo's death apart from Gohda who can't be replaced because they need someone to prepare food and how Gohda was hired after Kinzo's death so he can't notice anything different in his behaviour.

I like to think though that Natsuhi left Jessica out of this, so as not to force her to lie or be involved in the crime of hiding Kinzo's death. Jessica though might have her suspicions but since she seems to be pretty protective of her parents she might have not investigated too deep in this.

It'll be interesting if Jessica's feelings for Kanon are all Yasu's fantasy and more than crushing after Kanon she was trying to be his friend and live better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestSpeaker View Post
Also, while I am not saying that it didn't happen, I am not sure "Kinzo used a business deal to get his son a wife and then never trusted her (after she "killed" a baby that was important to him)" is evidence that he raped his own daughter...
Well, he apparently got her pregnant, unless the whole existence of Lion is a story Yasu made up for the gameboard.
After all we can't prove the baby existed. His birth wasn't recordered, Natsuhi's confession to the grave of the husband of the maid supposedly wasn't witnessed, Genji, Kumasawa and Nanjo are dead and likely didn't let medical records that could prove that Kinzo's illegittimate child existed (though there can be documents of Nanjo taking care of a baby), for the Fukuin house the baby would be nothing more than another orphan so... it can very well be all in Yasu's mind as someone theorized in the past.

So it can entirely be Kinzo never touched his daughter in Prime and never had a child from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I would also think that Kanon started out, like Beatrice and Shannon (after the real Shannon left), as something like a vent for her emotions that was never really so much acted out in front of people (running around in a bed-sheet at night doesn't really count). Still, it's also important to consider that, by the time Kanon was created, Shannon wasn't attending school anymore. She likely finished junior high school and never attended high school, considering that it isn't mandatory education and the servants were likely never meant to enter high status jobs.
Well, it depends on when she physically created Kanon... though didn't Eva said something along the line of how they allowed Shannon to continue school? I thought this meant they allowed her to go to high school not that they allowed her to attend to mandatory school.

Quote:
I think that's at least what the goats were implying when they said, there was never any Kanon and he was simply made up by or for Jessica. Her only way of responding is to say that people saw Kanon at the school festival.
I do hope the manga goes a little bit more indepth concerning what lead the goats to believe that (evidence post-tragedy etc.).
Same here. It seems so far that Dlanor and Will have countered more theories than the one in the novel and I really hope the same will happen in the future.

Quote:
This is sadly one of these elements that we just have to swallow, but, on the other hand, even big writers like Queen, Carr, Van Dine, Sayers, Christie and others made fairly stupid mistakes or bend the laws of nature to fit their stories. My favorite remains the man shot in the chest who still manages to climb up a building, leap over roofs, run into his house and prepare a locked room situation.
LOL, that's awesome! To think I was still hooked up with a completely naked Robinson filling his pokets... I must read this book! Can you please tell me the title?

Quote:
It would definitely tie into the whole anti-mystery field, most novels from this genre basically advocating the notion that it is the detective, the author, and even the reader who actually create the "murder case" from something that is simply a human tragedy.
Heck, in An Offering to Nothingness both the culprit and the detective figure (both from a group of avid mystery readers) basically break the fourth wall and tell the author that it was not only them but the reader as well who wished for a horrible, complicated and yet beautiful murder-case scenario to occur, while actually it all leads to "Nothingness".
Well, Umineko itself implied part of the Rokkenjima murder case had birth due to the message bottles that were found so even though I think something happened it's likely not what the gameboards lead us to think.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote