View Single Post
Old 2009-09-24, 01:01   Link #1974
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyus View Post
That statement is contradictory.

Anyway, we die but before we die we reproduce. So in a way we are still alive in the form of our future off springs. We adapted this from our microbial ancestors. An efficient way to survive IMO.
Visibly, our children are not us. But have you ever thought of "non-existence"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When you have billions and billions of pachinko balls thrashing through the pegs.... and only one needs to land in just the right spot: Anthropic principle variant. Eventually one will. Deep time, billions of experiments, tries, false starts, restarts. We recently were able to finally spot a smaller solid surface planet in another star system (after finding a few hundred gas giants). Organic life shows itself to be amazingly adept once started... however, intelligent life able to create tools and self-reflect is yet another cascade of pachinko balls to hit the few "good spots". So we may be rather rare in the galaxy - best not to screw it up.
You do have a point there. If you think about it, time is limitless(...so yeah..it could be that tiny percentage...(big percentage now, I guess---it just depends whether it was intentional or not)) I respect your theory, but it still doesn't eliminate mine. Let's just hope that one of our "tickets", on our deaths, are the right one.

(as the one and only arguing theist, I feel pretty pressured here )

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Edit: Can someone answer me this? Suppose that you have lived for 80 years, and today is your last day. A nice house, lovely scenery, deep blue sky. Your family is around you. Your son is a successful man. His wife is a wonderful women who born him 2 beautiful daughters who are attending some prestigious school. Friends, relatives ect... are all around you. You have 2 more seconds to live. In the first second, the picture changes. There is no friends, relatives or such. Your son is serving 20 years in prison. Your 2 granddaughters are prostituting to make end meets and at the same time, pay for your medication. The house is reek of pee. One of the granddaughter receives a phone call and is about to leave.

1 second left. Now think. If you are in that position, what exactly is the difference between those two situations?

I see none, but I know there must be a big difference. What is it?
I also don't know how to engage this....it really depends on whether I care about my family or what....but usually I'd just think I'm mentally ill and is hallucinating. The difference is... "satisfaction"?

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-09-24 at 01:21.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote