View Single Post
Old 2007-12-15, 19:58   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
You'd expect them to be better at spotting and evading traps. Besides, the fact that some of them deserted their units after simply hearing a scary voice on the radio was rather hard to swallow; these men should be trained to charge enemies firing upon them, so them having such little discipline seems quite odd.
You cannot figure how the impact of trap is actually big, especially compared to a conceit attitude.
As i explained, the surprise might be lessened, but doubt and all are effective. As demonstrated, some soldiers reported that some traps were almost lethal, which is hardly something you would expect from kids.
This is actually the "psychological effect" of traps and the chaotic situation: as Okonogi didn't monitor them properly, his men were spread out, as they were not only caught off guard, but it has a snowball effect: seeing your comrades "falling" in battle "should" improve you awareness, but that's only a pretty point on paper. On the battlefield, the sole effect of losing comrades and frontlines is already a shock. This gets even bigger effect if they "know" it is from kids.

While they have the skill to obviously avoid traps (as shown in episode 22), the scale of this operation is quite different. I don't think people would actually laugh seeing bunch of tree trunks rolling at an alarming speed on your faces. Seeing troops falling like flies by pack is a huge blow on the moral.

Granted, I can understand that the guy who ran away because of the voice was a bit over the top. However, they were already worn out by a "supposedly easy" compaign, which turned into a complete failure. Adding some eerie points and the usual stuff about "oyashiro-sama" in hinamizawa, you have the deal.
Quote:
As for Minagoroshi, the Yamainu that got ambushed didn't expect to encounter any resistance, so that was a bit more realistic. After that happened I'm guessing that Takano wanted to kill the group herself, so that might explain why the Yamainu didn't attack the group.
As far as I can see, in Matsuribayashi-hen, the yamainu don't expect much resistence either. The whole deal in the previous episodes was because of the shelter, and so the inner grounds of the Sonozaki.
In this episode, they are in the moutain, a completely isolated place. That's the reason why Okonogi thought they signed their doom, because of such secluded, so supposed to be at THEIR advantage.
So, expecting big resistance from bunch of kids, with maybe 1-2 adults in the lot is quite not something they would think, especially due their number and equipement.

Again, the psychological impact and the conceit moral at the start were their downfall.