Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-11, 12:24   Link #652
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
How do the locals react to foreigners? I want to take a trip there so badly; did anyone go to any nightclubs or etc?
The answer is going to depend on where you're standing, who you're standing near, and what you were doing.

MOST japanese seem to be fascinated by Americans (if a little disconcerted by them). If you speak japanese or use chopsticks or do anything the "right" way - be prepared for oohs and ahhs (no matter how badly you actually do it).

The biggest *problem* I've read about comes from areas where a few of our dear military servicemen have made asses of themselves. You might find the occasional nightclub, bar, or restaurant that basically forbids foreigners -- they've had bad experiences in the past.

At least a few blogs I've come across has described the experience of the random elderly Japanese person refusing to believe a gaijin can speak Japanese -- its so alien to them they can't process you even if you're speaking fluently.

Your biggest task is to know enough about the culture to mitigate making others feel uncomfortable because they're out of their element with you.