View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 18:08   Link #214
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi11 View Post
Why do you keep saying "I am so disappoint of this", "that should have been more like that... " Why cant (at least some people) never accept the anime as it is? It is great that people are so moved by the anime that they would have wished for their fav character to act different, but why do you set yourself in a position where you basically say: "Writers so lame because...."

Maybe you got your own image of True Tears on how its supposed to be (and your perfectly well entitled to it) but why do you have to post that in the forum of things you really like (and I guess that would be anime) and still say "that is soo lame"
Well, I think with True Tears; the anime itself has sort of demanded a more critical approach to viewing it in that it's set itself up as a more emotional drama that's trying to be something along the lines of an acclaimed drama.

As viewers I think we acknowledge the writers' intent and so for True Tears it's more comparable to reading a novel not just for enjoyment but also critically as opposed to purely for enjoyment without a critical eye, simply because I think the writers have set the bar higher in terms of expectations.

In that vein I think we do have to say where the writers might have gone astray (in our opinions) and where we found them to be directly on point.

Some of the biggest issues that have arisen are with respect to the handling of Shin's mom. I think even the biggest "fan" of True Tears can admit that Shin's mom wasn't the most solid of foundations upon which to build a relationship for Shin and Hiromi and the total lack of explanation of her behaviors is perhaps the largest flaw. Exposing those kinds of flaws is a part of our job as viewers of this kind of drama, while simultaneously acknowledging that the writers have created a very realistically paced and heartfelt drama with compelling characters.

I think the second aspect is that we can point out weaknesses as well such as Aiko's handling which in my personal opinion would have been superior if she had stayed in the role of the "elder statesman" to elucidate upon Hiromi's (and Noe's) actions to Shin and the audience.

As an example of my own case of viewing an anime "just as it is", I view Spice and Wolf with a far less critical eye than I do True Tears simply because I think S&W is just trying to tell a nice story but not really providing us with any groundbreaking drama. That's the kind of anime that I think the viewer just takes at face value for enjoyment, since it's not really trying to be a masterpiece of drama like True Tears.

One final thing, I also rate the episodes of True Tears in a more critical sense, so the benchmark is different for me than it is for other animes. For Spice and Wolf I've given plenty of episodes "Perfect 10"s simply because I think they've done what they've set out to do, which is entertain me and not really slow down or lose my interest as a viewer. For True Tears my ratings are based on how each episode advances the drama as well as answers questions from before and fits into the context of the whole story, so although my ratings are lower on average, it's no surprise that I view True Tears as the vastly superior anime (even though I acknowledge its flaws where I don't really see many in one like Spice and Wolf).

Last edited by vio5555; 2008-03-25 at 18:20.