View Single Post
Old 2013-11-07, 06:30   Link #4373
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I have only one thing to say on that matter, Pocari.

Dota2 is on Steam.

Steam has mainly been nothing but headaches, pathetically bloated downloads that cancel and restart, denial of things I bought, or doesn't work for months on end. Bastion, LA Noire and Miasmata have been the only good things I ever got out of Steam.
The indie scene on Steam makes its admirable. The fact that independent titles are getting more recognision than ever because of its makes it quite hard to hate Steam. Titles like Amnesia, Bastion, Legends of Grimrock, To The Moon and the like, those are some of my favourite games in past years and they were all able to happen and be marketed because of Steam. Yes, steam like every other corporate fuck that an be assholes sometimes, but big corporations are impossible to not be assholes.

Quote:
On top of that, LoL has a representative community in Oceania. Have yet to see anything significant emerge from the Dota2 community here.
You do realise that Dota2 had Australian and oceanic servers way before LoL did. LoL only got theirs only a few months ago.

Quote:
And as a person who played Dota1 for many years...I get no enjoyment from what Dota2 is anyway. I get the absolute creeps seeing what Lina looks like, Puck sounds like, the map looks like, Puck sounds like, the narrator sounds like, Puck sounds like, etc. To those that like it - good luck to them. I wouldn't play Dota2 even if it was the last game on earth. I get no enjoyment from playing it, watching it, those that cast it.
Like I said, the two games are completely different. Not just in aesthetics and general "look" but in gameplay and tactics. There is no "strict" meta in dota2, though there are popular strategies. In LoL, it's pretty fixed with the whole 1 top, 1 mid, 1 jungle, 2 bot meta. Occasionally you get new ways to play the game like the 2v1 top/bot lane switch which has been very common this season but it's nothing as wacky as something like double jungle or trilanes in dota. Also dota is revolved around one or two "carries", whilst LoL is akin to a RPG/mmo party format of a tank/healer(support)/dps. Gonna be even more so next season with junglers and supports getting more gold.

Quote:
And when it comes to me and marketing - I couldn't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 anime year. I certainly can't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 gaming year.
Except LoL gets a lot of flak for being a "casual" moba, the "call of duty" of moba etc. Excuse me for being a little mean, but there is a bit of irony in your statement because of that that. Of course, I ignore idiots who blindly bash the game since it's just as complicated and complex at the top tier as dota2, it just has a easier entry level and much less "snowballing".

My honest reason for following LoL is very simple and it's less to do with it being "a better game" or whatever. It's the fact that Koreans play it and it's the esport in the spotlight at the moment. And Koreans take esports very very seriously. Once LoL is knocked off as the premiere e-sport, I'm going to whatever game that may be as long as it's respectable. I'm a follower of e-sports, not particular games. It was starcraft 2 before it went completely down the toilet and the scene died, and I'm afraid that unless LoL shapes up it may follow in its footsteps.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-11-07 at 06:44. Reason: Fixed some bad typos
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote