Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-21, 13:25   Link #67
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Well I plan to move to japan right after college, because I have alot of tech and programming skills I should be able to fit in well with their high tech industry and I make decent money right now so I will most likely be able to fund my trip without too much effort compared to many of you poor children whom can bearly afford to make it to the next day. Heres my question have you been to japan or do you plan to go, if so, tell us when and why, if now tell us why not.
Firstly, I think Dopeskills is right; they've had a pretty bad recession for over a decade now.

Um..if you're talking about computers, I think the US is the place to be. Japanese computers still run Windows or Macs, and those programmers are still in America. In fact, due to export laws, I believe our computers are faster than theirs are (Give the rest of the word old-tech).

So, I'm a poor child who can barely afford to make it to the next day? Thanks, man...!

'If not, then why not'? You want people to tell you WHY they haven't gone to Japan?

Anyway, I went for 3 weeks a couple of summers ago. It was late July/early August, so the heat/humidity were in full effect. Went on a whirlwind tour of Kansai & Kantou, it was pretty cool. No trips to Okinawa or Hokkaido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ink
So, before you make up plans, visit there for like 2 weeks or so.

Otherwise you might end up being in japan for a year while thinking it suxxors big time :P
true, trUE, TRUE! Remember, you're pretty much expected to be illiterate upon arrival. When I was there, very few Japanese people spoke English, and I had to rely on my broken-ass Japanese. It's much better now, so if I go again I should be okay. (Not nearly enough to live there, though).

If you do go, either know Japanese or bring someone who does. The airline did give us a little book of phrases to communicate with, but it was limited to pointing.

How much does this cost?--------------------------------------------これはいくらですか。
Where is the bathroom?-----------------------------------------------お手洗いはどこですか。
My stomach hurts.------------------------------------------------------御腹が痛いです。
Is there a bank nearby?----------------------------------------------近く銀行がありますか。
Can anyone speak English?------------------------------------------英語が話せる人がいますか。

I don't think you want to do this for a year or two. Finding your way around train stations can be difficult. Not really being able to talk to anyone for a year SUCKS.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote