View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 06:14   Link #132
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Depends on context for me, much like everything else I partake in. Don't shove it in because you have to, but if a romance blossoms to the point of sexual interaction, then by all means.
Sometimes it's the other way--the story works because it has sexual elements. Take a look at the White Album anime--Yayoi's plotline (lifted from the original game) wouldn't be quite as poignant if she wasn't sleeping with Touya to draw him away from his girlfriend Yuki, because sexual betrayal is in a class of its own for many people when it comes to "things you can do to hurt an intimate relationship." Another title by Leaf that would suffer if the sexual elements were removed from the storyline is Tenshi no inai 12-gatsu because the characters' backstories all involve how such elements have hurt them in their past or present relationships. I think that the White Album PS3 game (which removed or censored the original's sexual elements) loses some of the impact that way.

Of course, oftentimes the leadup to such elements in the eroge genre isn't very believable. If you look at Caucasus, one of Innocent Grey's releases, for instance, you'll discover that the player character can "win" the various heroines in the story within the ingame time of three days, only one of whom the player character is well-acquainted with. I'll admit that the Titanic movie was famous because it portrayed such a tempestuous love affair within such a short timeframe, but you can't do that so many times in the course of a single work of fiction without straining suspension of disbelief.

There's a lot of potential for good writers to make their mark in this genre--too bad it's not considered a "real" genre of fiction by many.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote