View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 13:59   Link #41
Tammuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
At least feel guilty about it!

If you can buy stuff, please do. If you can't buy a lot, or can't buy anything at all, that's okay, but please buy what you can.
I would if I could.
Poor fags gonna poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The thread topic was "how to best support the anime industry".

In some cases, it doesn't make sense to buy the series because it isn't licensed in your region. That doesn't mean one can't buy the swag -- figures, CDs, manga, light novels, posters, etc. As long as it isn't bootleg - those profits also go to the producing companies.

It is pretty simple - no money, no anime will happen. As long as there's a *patron* class who spends enough money on the art/performance, the *peanut gallery* (leechers) get some benefit as well. But there has to BE patronage by sufficient numbers of people or the entertainment vanishes.

I think the best ethical rule of thumb is to buy what you can when you can. If you're a teenager, you're unlikely to have the funds to buy much just like you can't afford to go to the concert. If you're a 20-something programmer making 50K euros a year... you can probably afford to visit www.cdjapan.co.jp or www.hlj.com and pick up a few trinkets.
Hm... I never thought about it like that. I was referring to the Japanese BDs and DVDs, but I see your point... I guess if buying merchandise offers support, then... Pretty much any fan has supported the industry at one time or another. Probably.
Tammuz is offline   Reply With Quote