View Single Post
Old 2007-10-08, 00:13   Link #51
outlaw97

I'll have to admit, one side benefit of anonymous subbing is the releasing of the subtitle file, most of the time before a fully encoded copy is available. This way, in the time it takes you to download the raw, you'll have the .ASS or .SRT file ready as well. It isn't that hard to use it either - in most cases if your raw is an AVI you simply make sure the filenames match.

I realize this may come off as sounding like "OMG IMPATIENT FANBOY", but to me it's more about the core of fansubbing - to be able to watch a show with translations. This is fairly common with J-dramas, so I'm surprised it's only now starting to emerge on the anime side. The typesetting, encoding, and other visual frills are to me just something people use to benchmark one group versus another (well, besides the obvious translation quality). So if you're going to release it anonymously, eliminate the things that would cause different groups to form in the first place.

Now I know some encoders are going to jump down my throat, with how they can turn shitty raws into pristine quality etc. Which is why I'm not going to say that if you're going to do anonymous subbing, to ONLY release the subtitle file. But coming from someone who read translations off a paper while simultaneously watching a VHS tape, getting the translation right is first and foremost - everything else is just details.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote