View Single Post
Old 2013-06-23, 21:12   Link #129
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune condition where antibodies recognize Acetylcholine receptors as antigens and destroys them, causing a net effect of easy muscle fatigability and weakness. Most symptoms start cephalocaudal, meaning head and face first the downwards., which accounts for the classic sign of facial weakness and drooping eyelids.

The rest of the body comes later, but the most feared complication is respiratory weakness in un/poorly treated cases.

What are your MG meds? Physiostigmine I suppose? Symptomatically it could be a sign of MG crisis or inadequate MG medication, except cough and phlegm usually don't accompany it.
Yep, Mestinon (Pyridostigmine Bromide) and Azathioprine (Generic Imuran). I was on Prednisone for a while, but I eventually weaned off of that. I had a rough time for the first year and a half (it damn near killed me at the start, and spent an entire month in the hospital), but after the dosages were figured out, and the Azathioprine finally kicked in, I was going strong.

Exercise has been a big factor in keeping me going. The bicycle commute to and from work really helped out. However, I stopped riding the bike so much for about a month before I came down with this bronchitis, mainly due to inclement weather. I've always wondered if the lack of exercise prolonged this.

Over the last week I've been getting back on the bike and doing some laps around the block, staying close to home just in case something happened. Although I still can't go the distance I used to, I do generally feel better (but not 100% better) after a ride and some light weightlifting. Also, the only medicine that seems to be helping is Mucinex. Not coughing up nearly as much phlegm (yuk!)as I was, but it's still coming. Also, the lemon tea with honey seems to help as well.

Endless "Still fighting" Soul