View Single Post
Old 2009-09-09, 11:35   Link #131
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Yuki looks and acts like an android, but is she really mechanical on the inside, kind of like a terminator? or fully organic?
That line rolled around in my brain for a while and eventually congealed into this:
Spoiler for length and off-topicness:

Back on topic, I see Yuki and the various other humanoid interfaces as approximations of human personality housed mostly in the wherever that the Data Overmind exists in, but connected to the bodies that have been created for that purpose. If the Data Overmind is seen as one big computer program, with various subroutines each handling their own processes, the humanoid interfaces are nested subroutines within those subroutines, with the express purpose of interfacing with the organic inhabitants of Earth and Haruhi in particular. When Ryoko was cut off from her interface, it was like a firewall cuttting off access of her subroutine from the larger data manipulation powers of the Data Overmind, making it easy for Yuki to then remove Ryoko's interface itself, and effectively toss her "subroutine" in the Recycle Bin.

As for when Yuki was created, I believe that she has existed in some form or fashion since the Data Overmind first gained sentience. Same with all the other interfaces, Ryoko included. But data entity consciousness and human consciousness are two completely different things, and that human portion of her existence has only been around for the three years (now four—or 598, however you want to count it) since her interface was created. And she's spent most of that time sitting in her empty apartment or reading books. Ryoko, on the other hand, interacted readily with other human beings, and (likely due to prodigious use of synchonization with her future—and thus more experienced—selves) developed a more human-like personality. I kind of get the feeling she was around on Earth before Yuki was, maybe as a kind of scout, observing humanity for clues to the Data Overmind's desired evolution (something it likely does on a number of sentient-occupied worlds), but having to take a backup position to the more competent (but less experienced in human existence) Yuki when she was created.