View Single Post
Old 2011-08-08, 21:26   Link #1669
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

So I'll review the bits of the concert that I actually care about. Namely the ten minute set played by Ladyklok the all-girl, Dethklok Houkago Tea Time tribute band. As a band, they've improved quite a bit from their last live outing. This outing's 'Fuwa Fuwa Time' flowed much better than the last one.

As for the individual musicians . . . I have to say that serious props go to Yoko Hikasa, who seems to have really brought her game on, when it comes to playing bass. She got serious props last time for learning to play a left-handed bass in spite of being right-handed; but her bass playing has improved quite noticeably since then.

Ayana Taketatsu's stage presence has improved since last time, and her use of that Mustang has improved too. Aki "Gulliver" Toyosaki still has the commanding sort of stage presence that is only helped by being a freakin' giant, compared to her bandmates. On guitar, she's quite content to play chords, but for much of the set, that was just fine . . . her real strength lies elsewhere.

Minako Kotobuki is still a thoroughly competent keyboard player. The songs have been arranged in such a way as to put more of the load onto her, as a result.

Satomi Satou . . . what to say about Satomi. Her drum playing has improved to the point where she's expanded beyond the basic rhythms and into a little more technical territory (I thought she pulled off 'Pure Pure Heart' very well.) Of course, she's had lots of practice. And I mean lots of practice. For most of the concert she had absolutely nothing better to do, except sit behind that drum kit. And, unlike her fellow bandmates, who could fake whatever they liked during all the fake-play segments (on account of their instruments being disconnected,) Satomi had to mostly play the drums completely straight. Seriously, watch her during the fake-play segments. She misses some of the crazier bits, but otherwise she looks like she's hammering out the core rhythms of most of the fake-play songs.

As an aside, the fake-play parts were fun to watch too . . .