View Single Post
Old 2010-10-22, 11:23   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I completely agree. Normally for a character like him, the standard reaction is "damn that lucky bastard, I wish I have such a cute sister like he does". But here, seeing the way he's willing to not only support, but even sacrifice himself for a little sister who treats him rather callously, I too wish that I can be as awesome a big brother as he is. A similar reaction I got from Kou Kitamura last year (in fact, I think I remember something like this from when I used to lurk the Cross Game thread, and you were one of the regulars there Meo), which makes him more admirable than most other male protagonists in just three episodes. Hope he'll continue to be awesome!
Kyousuke definitely showed himself to be GAR in that ep, and Kou is the most GAR character of the last year - so valid comparison as far as I'm concerned. Of course Kyou has some work to do before he can reach the Kou class in this category, but he's off to a good start. Like Kou, he isn't especially interested in calling attention to himself but just does difficult things becaude they're the right thing to do - a "quiet GAR", if you will - sort of the opposite of the kind of GAR you get from Goro (Major) where the hero plows ahead courageously and attempts to do the impossible on sheer strength of will.

Right now Kyousuke definitely strikes me as a kind of amalgam - a good one - of several recent anime male leads, which I think is intentional given the subject matter of the series. Given the way the first three eps were presented as more or less a prologue, I'm fascinated to see where the series will go with his character. Will he become influenced by his sister's otaku passions? Will he develop a romance with the neighbor girl, or maybe Saori? Will he be satisfied being a second-class citizen in his own family, or will he rebel against it?