View Single Post
Old 2012-09-17, 13:48   Link #11
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

DA2 was a multi facet failure in my eyes.

The plot was awful: a majority of the story can be cut from the game and it would form the introduction of an "actual" story. A lot of the major elements in DA:O were missing. Where are my grey wardens? I want to see more dark spawn! Why did (forgot the name of the dragon-witch) only make a cameo? She could have done so much more!

They also tried to make an impact, but feels out of place and out of character. "umm.... did Anders REALLY just did that?"

For now I will just treat DA2 as the origin story for DA3.

Plot aside, the setting was terrible too. The same few zones were reused over and over. Dungeons were reused with only a particular pathway sealed off and entrance and exit swapped.

Quests were also very plain.

The amount of enemies in the game were very limited. They are all the same few archetypes: the warrior, the mage, and the rogue that 1 shots you.

The combat system is horrible. A lot of things are burst oriented. Spell combos for example. Because of the lack of "passive regen", your character would basically "use up all its stamina/mana", do nothing but auto-attack until you get more/drink potions.

"Look! There is more of them!"

The equipment of DA:O and DA:2 were very insignificant (other than some elemental weapons). You pretty much only get more armor and damage: would like to see some "secondary stats" to make the game more interesting. Similar to how blood mages would try to wear as much blood magic efficiency items as possible. (because the stat actually meant something to them)

Because of the friendly fire system in higher difficulty (and the game is too easy on the lower difficulties), a lot of spells became very useless. I believe they eventually made it a little better, but I remember bringing in another melee character and my warrior just "accidentally" kill him over and over and over and over until I just do not care about his injuries anymore. You want to use pretty fire spells? That rogue in your party is going to die (if not already dead) if you had it on autocast...

The only memorable thing for me would be the Arishok (sp?) in DA2: he had some pretty bad ass lines. Too bad his fight was just about dodging his charges and slapping him for a few seconds: rinse and repeat 100 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I never played the second game but I liked the first quite a bit. If this follows the story of the second, I may read a quick recap elsewhere to get ready for it.
Spoiler for plot 101:
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote