View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 03:43   Link #1587
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentLove
Democracy is exactly what the rulers want - the illusion of choice within a totalitarian system, a populace of sheep who believe they have freedom of thought.
If I am a dictator, I would love your kind of nihilistic cynicism.

It is the naive, the dreamers, those willing to speak up, those desperate enough to fight, to live and die for idealistic hopes of liberty and equality that I would fear. You will whine and sleep; they will fight and take me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Life is difficult in Europe right now. People are suffering. But I don't feel Europeans are dumb. I feel they would vote for the right choice if given the chance to do so. At the very least they would vote for their own interests.
I would spare a worry for the rise of far-right nationalist parties in Europe. It's true that many Europeans are voting for the fascists (and I'm going to call them that, the opportunistic scums) only as a protest against the establishment parties and the EU's austerity regime, but too many people going too far protesting that way and there will some very unfortunate side effects.

Note the rise of Golden Dawn in Greece, for example, or Marine Le Pen and Front national's success in France. Interesting times indeed.

Of course, however disturbing their rise, they are not the other half of a major world power's two-party system.