View Single Post
Old 2006-08-17, 08:21   Link #596
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Uh...This is what I was saying...WHAT YOU JUST SAID IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT...He adapts to the situations more than simply relying soley on whatever manipulation he's planned...
What I wrote is quite a bit different from what you did. You claimed that Durandal had his actions planned out as contingencies, which requires him to foresee the actions to a rather high degree. Where we agree is that he didn't presume that all of his moves would be successful. Of the characters in Destiny, I think that only Cagalli, Jona, and to a lesser degree, Djibril were naïve enough to assume that things would necessarily go the way they planned. To a degree, Shinn also shares a little of this trait, but he's not in a position of power where it would have shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
And I wouldn't exactly say that the revelation of Lacus wounded Gilbert bad anyway. He couldn't turn the situation to his advantage, but considering what followed afterwards with Requiem, aside from a few possible defectors, and slight morale drop among the troops, he's pretty much regained most chess pieces he lost with his failed anticipation of Lacus being on ORB.
That's not entirely true. I don't think that Durandal meant to announce the Destiny plan so soon. I think that he meant to do it in drips and drabs over the course of a number of years. If he had had his way, he would have never resorted to using REQUIEM, instead, he would have always been seen as a peace-loving beneficent leader. When Lacus showed up, Meer became useless, and Durandal had to abandon years of planning to try to appeal to the world's population. She forced his hand, and he ended up doing things which would have hurt him in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Considering how Gilbert thinks of Kira so highly, one thinks he would've attempted to recruit him rather than execute him.
I have the feeling that he thought of Kira in a quasi-religious manner, which is the only real explanation for why Durandal treated him with such importance. He probably never approached Kira because he was so close to Lacus – there was nothing Durandal could do to break him from her influence.