Thread: Licensed Scryed (S-cry-ed)
View Single Post
Old 2007-10-16, 17:16   Link #79
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
I still think the last episode were just a very badly done OVA. They basically threw away the plot, any relationships they spent time building up (And in some cases, killing off). The animation for the last 2 were a joke. That was terrible stuff. Well not terrible but the show had a higher quality than that last episode.

I enjoyed Scryed up the almost end, but that last episode felt so transplanted that I didn't enjoy it at all.
I have to disagree.

The plot was not thrown away since it was always about the conflict between Kazuma and Ryouhou. This was the true conclusion to that plot. If by throwing away the plot you are referring to that very vague and ill defined "Lost Ground vs Mainland" plot, then I have to disagree. It was a cookie cutter plot completely lacking in a well defined enemy. That wasn't a plot, it was merely an event created to drive the real conflict.

Here's a quick test: Tell me the names or purpose of the "Mainland" that we keep hearing about. Several times I saw a number of men sitting around a table talking about portentious and poorly defined goals, but they were pretty much ingnorable. That's not an enemny.

Eventually Kyoji Mujo was introduced as their face, but honestly he had as little interest in them as I did. He was just a generic power mad psycho who provided our protagonists with an opportunity to bond together by fighting.

Next you bring up the issue of relationships. Heh. Really? You think there was romance in this show? The only important relationship was the relationship between Kazuma and Ryouhou. Even the girls only existed as extensions of them. Did any of them ever go out on a date? Did they express romantic feelings? These girls were just color inserts. Sheris was just a paper doll and Kanami existed just to be narration and cuteness. As for Minori, she was the only one of the three who had an actual personality, but Ryouhou never showed more than feelings of nostalgia and friendship for her.

The relationships with these girls were not severed in the last episode. They were severed several episodes before that. You were merely refusing to believe the protagonists when they said that they had no interest. I understand the hopefulness of wanting there to be romance in a show, but it didn't really exist here. Perhaps the boys need to grow up a little more before they are actually able to share their lives with girls. Or maybe they're gay. All I know is that they really weren't interested and that was made clear throughout the show and finalized before the last episode.

As for the drop in animation quality. Okay, I can't debate that at all. It was dumb for them to use up too much of their budget. At least they had more budget left for the last 2 episodes than Evangelion! Anyway, at this point that is hardly the biggest concern. Either you were enjoying the fanservice or you weren't. If you were having fun watching episodes 1-24, then you would have fun with episodes 25-26. Picking on the animation is just a way for you to find one more thing to complain about.

Quite frankly this show isn't evolved enough for your complaints to be relevant. You seem to be complaining that Scryed was the kind of show that it was. I wonder why you actually watched episodes 1-24, because all the things you wanted were only shadows.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote