View Single Post
Old 2011-03-01, 10:37   Link #64
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
+1

What are odds for this new season to be equally good?

-Sequels rarely are on par with the original
-Gonzo has no money
-Gonzo keeps messing its own stories after awhile
-And as a personal note, I wasn't thrilled with the show to begin with. The characters looked like dolls, the world was left undeveloped, the pacing was slow and fluxuating between good and bad moments, the ending was messy and rushed.

As for the funky airships and cool world, I think most of us switched to Bounen no Xamdou (an equally chaotic series with an equally messy ending with the only difference that it's made by Bones).

I am also not sure if the setting will even be interesting after other anime like Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess had somewhat similar worlds (exaled, prisons).

So no, very low expectations from my part.
I agree with almost everything written above except for the low expectations part. I love Last Exile's setting, character design, soundtrack too much. That is enough to get my hopes up. And Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess did not have a similar setting at all. And that perfect soundtrack. I want to see more shows with airships!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I've seen both of these (loved Scrapped Princess!) and while there is a bit of overlap, the real setting styles that identify them are completely different. Neither of those two shows have a setting particularly in common with Last Exile's industrial/flight/scifi/steampunk-era style. I think the setting remains as great, fresh, and rarely used as ever..
Yes! Last Exile has such a strong ambience. I'll add that I loved Scrapped Princess, and Planet of the Beast King was also quite good until that ending or about halfway. Last Exile has one of the most wonderful settings, and I would happily revisit. Not to mention in HD!(?) I clearly remember how mad I was when I saw what they did with Last Exile. So much wasted potential just like Xam'd. They couldn't ruin it more than last time, right? I don't want to jinx it, but how bad can it be when the first one wasn't great either? IMO it is better to have a mediocre anime with a world like Last Exile's (*cough* Xam'd) than have no such anime exist at all. I would love it if they it make it into one that could go in my top ten. But I'll take what I get. Ok I am done fangirling I did read that Hitomi is also back for the ost? Shangri-la was meh but that was one good soundtrack. I love all her work.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Indeed. Looks like a Summer airing.
Summer 2011?

Last edited by Asleep; 2011-03-01 at 10:55.
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote