View Single Post
Old 2009-02-27, 03:04   Link #634
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
This is what I want to say in Japanese: I forgot my umbrella in the classroom yesterday.

My roommate who is a Japanese student from Japan studying here at SFSU wrote for me: Watashi wa kasa o kino kurasuruumu ni wasuremashita.

Is this correct? If so it seems to be conflicting with what I'm being taught in Japanese 101 right now. Currently they're teaching us to such a sentence in this type of form: Watashi wa kino kurasuruumu de kasa o wasuremashita.

Which is correct or is there a better way of saying it?
It's kinda like saying:

I left my umbrella in the classroom yesterday.
Yesterday, in the classroom, i left my umbrella.
Yesterday, i left my umbrella in the classroom.

There are various ways of saying it as well as cause it's japanese, they'll be different politeness levels and registers, depening on who you're talking to.
Also as you advance in the language, you'll find you'll learn more grammar that expresses emotion, in this case it'd be one to express 'regret' - so methinks the way your friend wrote it, is probably verbally spoken as such but the way you learnt it is 'clearer' and nicer japanese, so at basic level i'd stick with that personally.

Typically a convo between friends may go like...
A: shimatta! kinou, kasa wo wasurechatta.
B: doko de?
A: kurasuruumu de.

(actually, because 'wasuru' (to forget) is an abstract verb alike 'wakaru' - would it be 'ni' or 'de' to translate as 'at' - that's a basic grammar 101 i've personally forgotten myself, voices in my head tell me it's 'ni' though....)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote