View Single Post
Old 2012-10-08, 02:49   Link #135
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Well, if you didn't *snip* what I said was wrong with it, then it would have responded to what you wrote.

Also, Kimidori also did a fine job of stating what was wrong as well. As stated from a lot (not all) of anime-only viewers on the thread, they seem to have similar problems with how the story is presented in the episode.

When you state friendship, well, essentially most high school anime is about friendship in one form or another. It is the direction of that friendship that determines the series. Right now, things are very random and out of place, with no sense of direction. I'm sure things will eventually be explained later on, but for a first episode, this was very underwhelming.
I only snipped it for space, I didn't ignore what you said.

Friendship is a very basic theme in a lot of shows - yes, that is easy to see. If you want to criticize it for being a mundane topic, well sure, go ahead.

The direction of the friendship? So far we got a basic introduction episode with a bunch of random hijinks played for laughs, for which people choose to complain that somehow this obfuscates the entire point of the show.

This is where your argument totally loses me because you try to paint these different scenes as disconnected when in reality the group of friends titled "Little Busters!" were always people who went off and did wacky things. In the very first scenes with the fight between Masato and Kengo and Rin, Riki goes on to talk about how "this is a perfectly normal scene for me."

There is a whole flashback sequence that Riki narrated about his childhood and how he was befriended. How they would go on random little adventures as a group of friends is also talked about. And in many ways they are still the same group of people, always going off and doing wacky things and having fun as friends.