View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 13:50   Link #189
Hayami
lonely soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I can only suggest that people take the incentive and learn japanese or ((wait for the scanlations)).
Not everyone has the same talent/ability to learn foreign languages. Many people are so busy with family, work, etc. that it would take many years to learn, especially in case of language like Japanese. An advice to learn Japanese... well, I don't want to say anything offensive, but I don't like it at all... Otherwise I really enjoy your posts, Vexx, I don't know why you need to say something like this.

Also what would happen if suddenly every tolerant anime/manga fan (or may be even every tolerant person, everyone who truly believes in free speech/expression) would suddenly (lets's say with help of some magic or technology) switch to another language? Perhaps we wouldn't need even an English forum. We would be among the like-minded people and the rest of the world would stagnate even more. Till one day the two societies clash in RL. I'm sure that a confrontation is unavoidable sooner or later. And then you wouldn't be able even to import these books from Japan, then the only option would be to emigrate.

I for one hope that one day there will be a publisher in USA, UK, NL or any other country (as long they print it in English) who tries to support every group of anime/manga fans regardless of whatever moral outrage it would cause. Isn't there even a single rich and free speech loving otaku in this world? I'm not rich but I definitely would donate some money if someone started such a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Buying the books even if you can't read them, of course, is the best way to support her.
Why should we? see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watashiya in her blog | ANN | Vexx

To those exemplary Americans that are saying, "I wanted to read it," I would perhaps say, "Well then, there is the original."

If I was in her position I sure would say something else. Something along the lines:

" To my dear fans in USA and all other people who hoped to read my work in English - thank you for your support!
I am really sorry for you.... As of now there is nothing we can do. Let's hope some other publisher is daring enough to release it. "

I would say it because that's how I would feel, I think. Not to win sympathies.

If she said this I would be more than willing to buy the Japanese version (may be even twice) and every figure I can find on amazon.jp etc.

If you were trying to publish your book in Japan (originally printed in USA in English), the fans were waiting for 6 months and the Japanese release was cancelled because of an outrage among some or even many Japanese, would you say:
" To these exemplary Japanese - well then, you still can learn English and import my book from USA. " ?

And she says this even though her English isn't good enough to find and understand the most important articles about her own books.

Is she making ALL Americans accountable for the sabotage of her book's release by a closed-minded minority(majority)? ( let alone all the people who import anime/manga from USA )

Or she just doesn't give a damn about anyone who doesn't speak Japanese?

Few days ago I found out that some of my (ex?)friends jig in delight that the US KnJ release was cancelled ( because they can get the scanlations now !! ). After that I thought nothing can shock me anymore, yet I was wrong.

Btw. I do own a Rin figure already... But my motivation to read this manga or even to look at Rin diminished quite a bit after reading the quote above...