View Single Post
Old 2009-08-20, 23:32   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
No. Endless 8 killed the extravagant enthusiasm for the season when it started airing. After the gimmick of "will E8 end this week?" ceased being relevant, people started tuning out.
I agree. It's getting noticeable. Last I checked (which was only a few hours ago), the Episode 10 thread had fewer views than all other Haruhi 2009 threads, and had fewer posts than all but two of them. And, Episode 10 was way behind most of the other Haruhi 2009 episode threads in both views and posts.

To me, the most logical answer is that EE has driven some fans away. Mostly, it's driven EE critics away - a lot of the people that were critiquing EE on the older episode threads are gone now. About the only critics left, really, are you, Takamura, Akka, and myself (apologies if I'm missing anybody). Well, Kaisos was very critical of EE at times, in full credit to him, but he's been less so since it ended.

I have two caveats.

My first caveat is that EE didn't really start to hurt until episode 4 or 5. In fact, IIRC, episode 5 was the peak point for Haruhi interest so far this year. Right now, it looks like that's when a lot of people dropped off, and many haven't bothered to come back.

My second caveat is that the art style change has exacerbated the issue. I think that more people would have come back if not for the art style change.

Anyway, I'll be watching the sub at some point tomorrow, and writing up a blog review for the episode.