View Single Post
Old 2007-12-21, 16:43   Link #138
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
@VCV - All sound points, I'm just saying based on their interaction with one another it seems to me Halleh was trapped in the sense he couldn't breakthrough unless ultimately needed or by quantum interference. Before Soma appeared Halleh wasn't even prevalent, so now that he is I believe he'll say anything not to be trapped again (and that includes all of his conversations with Alleh, which in effect are pure delusions)...The essential point is that Halleh (however you want to view it) is trying to keep his side of the personality alive, and if it means empowering his otherside than sobeit…
Still, Hal made the point that he kills mostly for the purpose of survival. And beside the small incident when he mentally linked with Soma the first time, Hal only took control of the body when his immediate safety is at risk.

And a point appeared to be made that Al seemed to get his control back relatively easily. This doesn't appear to be because Al was somehow "in control", but because Hal always voluntarily hand back the body after a battle. This fits what Hal claimed, which is that he is only interested in self-preservation and little else. If Hal was genuinely interested in controlling the body permanently, he would have been far more active up to this point.

And seriously, what WAS Al planning to do, bringing missile launchers to the Spacestation? If he wasn't going to blow up the building with the kids inside, he was most certainly carrying the wrong equipment. This entire mission was Al's idea, including killing all these kids, so Hal certainly has the right to lecture him.

It's a little like going to a "peaceful demonstration" carrying a backpack full of Molotov cocktails. I can claim to be peace-loving all I want, but what I carry would betray my true intentions. Al, when crunch time comes, may be a coward. But his intentions were not pure. He started everything this episode, but could not take responsibility for what he has made himself do.

Hal is definitely not to blame here. If Al was having second-thoughts at the last second, he clearly should not have organized this assault to begin with.