View Single Post
Old 2009-08-16, 19:25   Link #234
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
That's the thing, the main ship was never called the Macross in Robotech, just the SDF-1. It only ever is used to refer to "Macross Island" (which is around for all of the first 3 episodes), the reconstructed city which is hardly mentioned by name, and Miss Macross.
To be honest, I haven't watched Robotech, but I recall the name being used a lot more in the novels. Still, I did forget the biggest reason for the trademark - Harmony Gold has the distribution rights to SDF Macross itself, and they released the DVDs under this name.

I do wonder though whether the Macross section had been only known as the First Generation, or if the "Macross Saga" tag had been used as well. As far as I can tell, it seems to differ depending on the product: the novels only used the "First Generation" tag, while other products would use the Macross name (the Palladium RPG just called the main book "Macross").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Now, to be frank, "The Macross Saga' doesn't really make a whole lot of sense as a title..."The SDF-1 Saga" would've been more appropriate...
Maybe, but Macross City itself did play a very large role in the series; a thematic point given further emphasis by the novels.