View Single Post
Old 2011-06-17, 13:24   Link #158
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I agree with Arabesque in his clarification of the question being whether the actions he listed Satsuki in of themselves were good actions. As of right now they looked like they were not, even if one may be able to empathize with her "rationale" as to why she was doing them or how she came to the place where she could act like that. For now I am not impressed.

I also agree with Triple R in his statement that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
....Childhood idealism absolutely should not be crushed. A wise parent will see their child with such idealism, and will seek to temper it with realistic expectations and pointing to practical ways of channeling it....
I would agree that what the American writer quoted may be the case with some people (perhaps even a large number), but I still think that even if he is describing something that is commonplace I don't think it is a good thing to become like that.

Still, Reckoner has a point when he says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner
No it doesn't mean people necessarily abandon what is considered "ideal," but adults do learn or cope with the fact that there is very little they can do about many injustices in their life.
I generally agree with this but to me the difference is in the "shades" and manner to which this is done.

One of the most difficult things anyone has to face in one's life is how one should act, believe, etc. when confronted with "injustice" or situations where it seems they have to compromise their idealism in some way. Retaining idealism vs. becoming jaded has always been a struggle. Not to go too black and white here, of course, there are many shades of grey in between and there is a difference between general principles one can articulate and the actual application of the principles in the events we meet day by day.

This is one of the main things episode 11 (and perhaps one of the main themes of the series overall thus far?) seems to be dealing ... and in a poignant, effective way imo. To me Satsuki has compromised too much and become a little too jaded (she is not yet "extinguished" it seems, or leading a life of "quiet desperation"). Ohana has not yet "compromised" much but is just beginning to face the situation all of us have to face. No real "decisions" were given in the chapter, no "judgements" per se, but the presentation of the characters in of themselves evokes thoughts on the subject in general and makes us think about it. Imo it would not hurt for more of us to be reminded about this.