View Single Post
Old 2007-11-08, 18:46   Link #18
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
The entire Halo series: After all of the massive hype, I was expecting some fantastic game with no equal in its genre - oops. The gameplay is no different than any other generic FPS title though I suppose they tried to put in weapons like the needler to make it seem original. The story is rather bland, something I would expect to find in a big budget sci-fi action flick. Multi-player? Still the same thing that's been done in every other FPS game, but now with the added thrill of playing with the horrid userbase that seems to make up XBox Live!

World of Warcraft: When I first heard about this going into development many years ago, I was heavily into MMOs and Warcraft was one of my favorite games, so of course a meeting of the two would be spectacular, right? Well I grew up and realized that WoW was no different than any other MMO in the past, but this one seemed to attract the Battle.net users as well, another online base that I have issues with. There was nothing in the game that I was hoping to find - I wanted to continue where WCIII and Frozen Throne left off, and play in that developing story. Instead, I find a fairly static world built on the foundation of item whoring and PvP. On top of the pain of interacting with the typical user... ugh.

Final Fantasy XII:
The characters are nothing inspiring, and I found it difficult to care for any of them, even if they got themselves into some huge pickle. The plot was poorly paced, possibly because they had the sequel in mind at the time. The summoning and limit systems were terrible, the licensing system ensured that by the end of the game every character literally was the same, and the political tones to the story were done poorly as we hardly ever got to see or interact with any of it unless it was a cutscene. By the time a chance was given to do anything about it, the game was almost done. Besides - playing what felt like an MMO offline is not my idea of fun. At least the final boss was interesting in that it brought together some classic summons in one little package.

Final Fantasy VII: One of the most overrated games of all time. I didn't find the story nearly as deep or interesting as fans of the game argue, I'm not a big fan of the emotionless, tough anti-hero that is Cloud (though I have less of a problem with Squall), the world and towns were pretty stale, and my biggest issue... Sephiroth. I don't get why people think he was so evil or badass. Leaving aside in-game difficulty, conceptually he doesn't measure up. He burns a town, kills a few innocents, and then tries to blow up the planet, all for dear old mom, and looks pretty and oh so cool while doing so!
Spoiler for a better FF villain:

Well, that's it for my rant.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote