View Single Post
Old 2013-10-26, 22:56   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't always like characters acting really awkward, but for whatever reason, it came off as quite funny to me in this episode.

Riki/Rin will probably never be some great, lovey-dovey romance. I just don't see them as having the personality mix and chemistry needed to pull it off. But I do find some things amusing about it...

1) Rin being very blunt and practical about the whole thing, at least in the beginning.

2) But that then giving way to extreme awkwardness and shyness for both Riki and Rin the rest of the episode. Again, there was just something about this that tickled my funny bone.

But I think that Riki/Rin, as a romance, probably could have used better foreshadowing back in Season 1. At least they had the sense to drop light hints of it during Kurugaya's arc. Otherwise, it would have come completely out of nowhere.

Anyway, this might be the easiest victory for a childhood friend romance ever.

It was nice of the other girls to be so supportive of Riki/Rin becoming boyfriend/girlfriend since each of the other girls had shown at least an inkling of romantic interest in Riki themselves.

Not sure how I'd feel in Kyousuke's position. I have two younger sisters in real life, and I'd probably find it pretty awkward for one of my best friends to be dating one of my two sisters. But I suppose at a practical level it's relieving to know that your sister is dating someone that you have a lot of trust in. It certainly could be a lot worst.

Lastly, I feel a bit sorry for HanaKana's character. That was indeed a very cute and heartfelt confession. Still, the girl really should have said "I'm very sorry about all the trouble my two friends caused you". Oh well, maybe that's partly why she never expected Riki to accept her confession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Oh fuck off JC Staff, if you're going to take out the romance from every other girl route then you should damn well take it out of Rin's route too. If you could make the other routes "work" without romance (I say "work" because I still believe it made the routes much weaker), then you could have done the same with Rin's route.

I like Rin and yes I'm a Kurugaya fanboy (hard to tell I know) but this bullcrap is unfair for all the other girls (and fans of the other girls/shippings).
With the exception of horror/mystery-based VNs, I've never seen a VN adaptation without any clear-cut romance in it. So I don't think there was ever any chance of Little Busters! having no romance at all.

JC Staff did like KyoAni before them and went for unified over omnibus.

Unified is about choosing one girl over the rest. The benefit of unified is that, as the name itself entails, you get a greater and more unified story. The story is much broader and overarching. But the downside is that all but one girl gets no romance with the lead character.

The benefit of omnibus is that every girl gets her romance route fully adapted, so every girl gets a romantic story told for her. But the downside is that this slices and dices the anime narrative into several separate stories. It makes the anime feel like a collection of short stories rather than one big story. So it can make the anime seem "less epic" overall.

So it's a trade-off. Only time will tell if JC Staff made the right call in going with unified (basically, it would require the rest of this season to be very strong, imo). I don't know if LB!'s distinct VN format would have allowed for the best of both worlds, though. I'll leave that for VN players to determine.