View Single Post
Old 2013-10-27, 23:23   Link #151
Darigan Xweetok
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Cameron's Avatar is a borderline case since while a significant portion of the film is animated, most of the "animated" characters' movements are achieved through motion capture technology using real life actors. Cameron himself doesn't consider the film to be a "cartoon", but there are people who do.

At least we can agree on one thing: every anime is a cartoon, since anime by definition are just animated products with a Japanese origin. Some people go out of their way to say that "anime aren't cartoons" just because they're different in mood or direction, which I think is silly.

However, your claim that CGI doesn't make a cartoon is dubious. Do you seriously think that something like Over the Hedge in all its silly cartoony glory is not a cartoon just because it's computer-animated?

What about those Japanese animations that are completely CGI, like Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Rakuen Tsuiho? Do they not count as anime, just because they are CGI?
Finally somebody accepts the facts! When people say " anime is not cartoons" because of the different style, and storylines, I put that down to lack of research, common knowledge, and ignorance. It is nothing but propaganda and pseudo-science. And when people persist with the misguided belief that anime and cartoons are " different" that's just parroting the drivel. Sadly people would rather parrot the otaku propaganda drivel than accept real semantic fact. Yes, I prefer the term " anime" over " cartoon" for Japanese animation, but I do not deny that anime is and always has been a subset of cartoons and that they are not disjoint, whether people like that or not.
Darigan Xweetok is offline   Reply With Quote